Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Crispy Kale Chips


This recipe is an oldie but a goodie! Makes the perfect late night snack... completely guiltless!!! :) 1 cup of cooked kale has only 36 calories and 1 gram of fat and provides you with 2 grams of protein and 3 grams of fiber! It has over 300% of your daily vitamin A and 89% of your daily vitamin C!

1 bunch of fresh kale
Olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Wash kale thoroughly and tear into bite sized pieces. There is no wrong way to do this... tear, chop... doesn't matter! :) I tend to tear away from the thick part of the stem and toss it out as it tends to be a bit bitter for me. I stick with the leafier part of the kale. Spread kale out on a cookie sheet and drizzle with enough olive oil to lightly coat. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on it... you don't want it to brown... just get a little crisp!

Variations...

Try drizzling with a teeny bit of lemon juice OR balsamic vinegar for a little extra kick!

Some more information about the health benefits of kale...

http://benefitof.net/benefits-of-kale/

3 comments:

  1. This is the second time this week I've seen info on kale chips! Someday, I'll have to try them. Still sounds a bit odd to me... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy! I'm gonna try it, I'm always trying to think of an interesting way to cook Kale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bought my kale today!!!! I'm making some quiche on Wednesday and I thought this would pair well. I'm excited for it.
    I have also found a great snack is cracked pepper Triscuits with laughing cow cheese wedge spread on it!!! 5 crackers= 60 cals and one wedge of cheese=35 cals. Awesome late night snack!!!

    ReplyDelete